Thursday 26 August 2010

"Good Advices"


Good Advices is one of the songs from what I refer to as "The forgotten Side B of Fables of the Reconstruction'. I say that because I have this vision of casual fans getting to Can't Get There From Here or maybe Green Grow The Rushes and switching it off. But, in true R.E.M. style, it's the songs that don't sink in on first listen that become your favourites over time.

It was when I heard the Fables demo version of Good Advices that I started to re-appreciate the song and wanted to cover it. It's one of those jangly Peter Buck performances where the guitars shimmer beautifully leaving the bass to define the direction of the song. So well done Mike Mills, another great song!

I've only recently bought a bass guitar so I'm a bit sloppy, so bare with me. Also, I'm still at that stage where I have to leave half week intervals between playing to allow my fingers to return to their natural shape after the harsh beating they get on those thick strings!

1 comment: