Thursday 6 March 2014

West Of The Fields


It was through covering this song that I began to appreciate it more. I've always considered it a bit of a lost song on Murmur, a less than spectacular ending to a classic debut album. But it's actually got a really dark energy. I've always been struck by the sense of foreboding as the final chord fades away accompanied by the eerie organs.

It's also quite a tour de force instrumentally, showcasing Berry, Buck and Mills at their best: An inventive, ever-changing drum performance from Bill Berry, a lively bass line from Mike Mills and choppy, energetic chords from Peter Buck.

Consequently, I've walked away from this cover now thinking that it's an under-rated moment of quiet brilliance on Murmur and a cover I'm really proud of for capturing all the elements I've come to admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment