Sunday 26 July 2015

Suspicion



It was listening to the studio demo of this song, on the Warner Brothers Rarities album that made me decide to cover this song. It's a little more guitar orientated and more of a "band performance" than the version that appears on Up.

But the strength of the song is in its mood and feel rather than in the music itself. The song plays out like a dream and it's the vibraphone and strings (and the heavy reverbing of these instruments) that help achieve this sleepy, semi-conscious feeling. So I found myself setting out to create a more stripped down version of the song but found myself adding the album embellishments back in as I went along.

The sound of the guitar solo is the closest approximation that I could get. For a while I wasn't convinced it was even a guitar playing this part but I guess it is, just heavily modulated and delayed. The performance of the song at The Bridge School Benefit is on YouTube and the song is played acoustically and it's quite interesting to watch Peter Buck play this solo on acoustic guitar with no effects.

This also marks the first use of my voice in a recording within this covers project! See if you can spot it!

No comments:

Post a Comment