Monday 6 August 2018

Hyena



I don't know why I've left it so long to cover this song. I think it's just because I've always struggled with playing this on guitar, I've followed guitar tablatures online and it's never quite sounded right. In terms of guitar style it's very much along the lines of 7 Chinese Brothers and Green Grow The Rushes but with this one it's imperative you mute the G string otherwise it sounds awful (note how Peter Buck keeps making this mistake on the 1985 Athens demo).

It's also ridiculously fast! It's not the easiest song to play anyway but at the pace of the album version it's close to impossible.

I may be wrong, but I can't recall this song ever being played live after the 1986 Pageantry tour which strikes me as odd as they played it live frequently in 1984 and 1985 before the song even made it on to an album. Maybe they just got tired of playing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment