Tuesday 10 August 2010

A brief explanation

For those of you who have just wandered in and have no idea what is going on, a brief explanation...


This blog is where I will be posting my R.E.M. covers as and when I complete them. But let me clarify, I don't sing, these are just instrumental backing tracks, recorded and mixed by myself using the application Garageband.


Unless I'm overcome by a sudden change of heart, you won't find covers of Man On The Moon or Shiny Happy People on here. I'm primarily interested in some of the more obscure, lesser known songs and, in some cases, unreleased songs that were maybe played live once or twice and then dropped, hence an official recording doesn't exist.


I suppose the reason for doing this is that I'd like to get some feedback on what, until now, has been a rather lonesome labour of love. I'm constantly learning and (hopefully) improving and your feedback/criticism should help me step outside my own tunnel vision and provide an objective perspective. Secondly, I hope my recordings will be of some enjoyment to hardcore R.E.M. fans. I'd like to think that, with some of the most obscure song choices, I'm providing a sample of what the song might have sounded like had the band decided to officlally record it. I'll let you be the judge of this!


Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the music....

4 comments:

  1. Great idea, Clive... And I think your instrumentals are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy I found this Blog (thanks to Robert)...I just spent the past hour listening to some of your material...AMAZING!!! I love the idea behind the blog and I can't wait to sample all your awesome covers. I've been a HUGE DIE HARD R.E.M. for over 15 years...in fact, I'm still in mourning with their 'dis-banding'...Keep up the awesome work and thank you so much for posting all your tracks...I hope other fans can find your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these covers! You've done a great job. I'm getting a lot of joy out of these songs. I put 'em on in the car and sing away. Hopefully you'll do more. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just come across your blog. I am doing something similar, but it involves finding out just how Peter Buck played these songs. Would love to see how you play some of these or comment on your approach to what I have done. Your stuff sounds amazing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete