Thursday 23 September 2010

'Camera'


I don't really have much to say about this one except that I'm really proud of the wind chimes in the third verse! Camera is a tender moment on an otherwise energetic album but it's not one of my all time favourites.

I'm going to go off on a complete tangent now and talk about the idea that "less is more" which is something I'm slowly realising as I listen harder to songs in preparation for covering them. If I have spent a long long time getting an organ melody right or there's a guitar part I feel I can play particularly well there's a tendency to want to show off and boost the volume of these parts. But I'm discovering this isn't necessary. Keeping these musical achievements low in the mix adds to the longevity of the song and prevents aural "overcrowding" whereby all instruments are competing to be heard leading to a tiring listening experience. In this recording, for example, I was really pleased that I'd gone to great lengths to get my hands on some wind chimes and there was the temptation to "pollute" the third verse with them. I practiced self restraint and kept them really quiet and I think the song is all the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment