Monday 20 September 2010

'Welcome To The Occupation'


One of my favourite R.E.M. songs and the only jangly folk song on Document. It also features one of my favourite dual Stipe vocals of all time.

I read somewhere that there is no acoustic guitar in this song, despite it sounding like there is. Apparently, it just features some very complex percussion work from Bill Berry that gives the impression of light strumming. So, not having the percussion skills, or the eyebrows, of Bill Berry I have included an acoustic guitar but removed all but the highest of frequencies to give it the percussion effect, or not, as the case may be!

As a cover, though I'm pleased with this, it's not one of my favourites. It's just too instrumentally sparse to do anything with. I'm working on Chorus And The Ring at the moment and because there's so much going on in that song it sounds really good when I started adding all the elements, but Welcome To The Occupation is quite the opposite. I have a friend who will be working on vocals for these songs next year and I think this will then go from being one of my least favourite to one of my favourites!

No comments:

Post a Comment