Thursday 16 December 2010

The Lifting


I was talked into covering The Lifting by a friend who loves the song. Initially I said I wasn't even going to attempt to reproduce the rich (arguably over-produced) electronic textures of the album version. So he sent me a live version performed in Rio in 2001 and, at first, I wasn't over-keen on this either. So he set me the task of taking the best of both versions and merging them into one which I thought could sound embarassingly bad but ended up being something I'm quite proud of.

In listening to the song carefully I grew to appreciate it more and more and it's now one of my favourite songs on Reveal. I also really love the slowed down demo version (B-side of Imitation of Life) and could have gone down that route also. I do much prefer the chorus on the slower version but can see why it wouldn't have worked sped up.

On another note, I also prefer the demo version of Beat A Drum to the album version. It means more to me than the album version which, again, feels over-produced and strips the song of all it's intensity and emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment