Tuesday 21 December 2010

Disturbance At The Heron House


Along with Welcome To The Occupation this is one of my favourite songs on Document. I'd describe it as an intelligent rock song, a very mature song considering all of R.E.M. were only in their late twenties when they wrote this song.

It is relatively straightforward in terms of structure and even features a rare Peter Buck guitar solo. But it's the opening riff that I most admire about the song, on the album it sounds clean and polished, whereas live it takes on a mechanical, dirty sound. Though I haven't got the riff spot on I'm certainly playing it better than I would have done two years ago! It's a really difficult riff to play, there are a multitude of notes crammed into a very short space of time (I will encounter similar difficulties when I tackle Pretty Persuasion!) made to sound easy when played by Peter Buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment