Thursday 6 January 2011

Living Well Is The Best Revenge


I was looking forward to covering Living Well Is The Best Revenge because I had a definite vision for how I would approach the recording of it. I told myself that for every bass or guitar part that I would play I would think about something that makes me angry and take that out on the strings whilst being recorded. I was determined not to make this a wishy-washy cover of a really angry song. I think I've done an OK job of getting the anger across.

Living Well Is The Best Revenge is a signal of intent, an act of rage and, by far, the strongest album opener since Begin The Begin on Lifes Rich Pageant. It also introduces its audience to the new throaty Michael Stipe. I don't know what has happened to his voice between Around The Sun and Accelerate, but something has happened! Either it's too much smoking or too many live concerts but his voice crackles and rumbles with passion and with a distinct coolness.

The song features a cascade of crunchy electric guitar positioned carefully around the sonic spectrum. I believe there are three guitars for example during the verse, one left, one right and once centre. Then of course, there is another one of Mike Mills's amazing bass guitar performances, only to be bettered still by his performance on the following song, Man-Sized Wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment