Thursday 24 February 2011

Burning Down


Burning Down was mentioned in the Dead Letter Office liner notes as being a companion piece to Ages Of You and an early song they got tired of. The song was played live as early as 1981 and the studio version we all know was probably recorded around the time of the Reckoning sessions as it has a similar sound albeit inferior mixing quality.

It's a great little song but I'm not disappointed that it didn't end up on an album because it strikes me as rather simple and easily forgetten. Musically it is very basic with a very quietly mixed jangly guitar with the bass guitar leading the melody. During the bridge a grungier guitar is introduced but is mixed way back panned far left and right. With my cover I've boosted the volume of the guitar as it would sound a bit sparse without vocals.

This is another song I wish they'd revisited at the 2007 Olympia sessions!

No comments:

Post a Comment