Thursday 10 March 2011

Maps And Legends


In time I've grown to love the Athens demos released with the 2010 re-issue of Fables Of The Reconstruction. I just love the fact every song is given the same treatment, and that is four musicians playing live with no overdubs. Maps And Legends struck me as being one song from this collection that seemed least fully realised and in its early stages, whereas a song like Driver 8 sounded near identical to what ended up on the album, albeit a little slower in tempo. Aside from Stipe not having completed the lyrics yet the verses also sounded quieter with less percussion and then they would sort of bounce back into the chorus each time. So it was this recording that inspired this cover version.

I also think this song could feature probably my favourite Mike Mills bass line ever. It's a perfect example of a melodic style of bass playing, the complete opposite to the sort of unimaginative bass line that is simply locked to the guitar chords. A joy to learn to play. But not one of my better covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment