Thursday 31 March 2011

Theme From Two Steps Onwards


Theme From Two Steps Onwards is, and always has been, my favourite unreleased R.E.M. song ever since I first heard it when I bought a VHS of the 1985 Rockpalast show back in 2000. Naturally I was delighted when a studio recording appeared on the And I Feel Fine release although, in hindsight, I think the live version is a better performance of the song, for one thing Stipe's singing is frequently off key in the studio version.

Not sure why this song didn't end up on Lifes Rich Pageant as it's classic R.E.M. yet slightly quirky with a fantastic bass line. I've heard rumours from a friend that there is a recording in existence with a horn section during the outro which makes sense because this could be what Stipe is emulating with his strange sounds at the end of the song. I don't know whether it was the song or the spirit of the band at the time but I get the impression Stipe was bored of this one when he remarks "who's clapping and what for?" after the song is played on Rockpalast.

Despite preferring the live version my cover is predominantly based on the studio recording with the dual bass line, which I love, and the little country-style guitar riff in the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment