Tuesday 28 August 2012

Sitting Still


As a backing track I think this song sounds quite ordinary, but it served as a chance to experiment with the layering of guitars to try and achieve that "Rickenbacker 360" sound. Here I try all sorts of techniques to get that jangly sound from Murmur. I read somewhere in some R.E.M. book, I think it was Peter Buck saying that on Murmur and Reckoning there are loads and loads of guitars layered to achieve that sound, so I kind of took inspiration from this.

As for the R.E.M. version, it used to be a favourite of mine, however I've grown less keen on it over the years. I've always liked the obscurity of it and the fact that, for a first time listener, it's quite reasonable to say that there is only one line in the whole song where you can be confident you've heard the words properly and, ironically, that line is "I can hear".

No comments:

Post a Comment