Tuesday 28 August 2012

Kohoutek



It wasn't until I started practicing the guitar parts to this and realising it didn't quite sound right that I realised that Peter Buck is using drop D tuning on his guitar in a similar way to Gardening At Night and, much later, Until The Day Is Done. Instantly it sounded right and also provided the key to getting the riff during the middle 8 sounding right - note how I'm reluctant to refer to this as "a guitar solo" because I feel it falls just short of qualifying.

Another feature of the song I picked up on was the volume of the acoustic guitars, they're quite a prominent feature in the song so I went along with this too. 

Note: The bass lick before the start of the third verse is actually there on the Fables Of The Reconstruction version it's just that it's so buried in the mix that it took the 25th Anniversary Fables demos CD to make me realise it even existed!

No comments:

Post a Comment