Wednesday 29 August 2012

Skank


I had to be coaxed into covering this one. I've always considered this to be more of a jam session than a song. Despite it being "unreleased material" I always tended to skip past it because it has no real hook and never really grabbed me.

Songs like this are always a bit of a challenge to cover because there is no definitive version to match it to, I had to kind of scour through all the haphazard performances of this in the early 1980s and try to do my best. So there is always an element of creativity in songs like this because I have to decide myself what to do with the guitar during some of the improvised parts and how long to make the verses, plus how to start and end the song - because a lot of the time it was performed as a merge between songs.

I read somewhere that Michael once spoke "the opposite of plethora is dearth" repeatedly when performing this song! I've never heard this version but I love the line! For me I'm more familiar with him muttering something about "a marble table made of glass" and singing "taking overseas" just before the chorus kicks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment