Monday 15 October 2012

Bang And Blame



This is my third attempt at covering Bang And Blame. I don't think it's a song I would have been all that bothered about tackling if it weren't for my fondness for the version of the song they played on Saturday Night Live. This version is one of the B-sides of Tongue and also features in the Rough Cut documentary. 

Those of you who have heard this version will know that Peter Buck favours a guitar riff based around an A minor chord on the 5th/7th fret over the tremelo effect that appears on Monster. I'm not certain why he does this, maybe it's due to the technical difficulties of replicating the tremelo effect live, but the resulting sound is a gorgeous minor key riff that renders Bang And Blame almost unrecognisable for the opening few seconds. Aside from this moment of brilliance the performance is a bit sloppy with neither Peter Buck or Scott McCaughey quite knowing what to do during the verse.

My cover is basically a clone of the album version with the addition of the live guitar riff. Plus I've been getting a bit jangly and clean with my guitar sound recently so it's nice to turn the amp up and rock out a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment