Wednesday 17 October 2012

Bittersweet Me



I only really took on Bittersweet Me because I felt like New Adventures In Hi-Fi (along with Up) was one of the few albums I hadn't targeted for any of my covers, and it got me thinking about which song I would feel most confident covering.

I chose Bittersweet Me not just because I like it but because, having just finished Bang And Blame, I was able to use a lot of the same elements. It's surprising how much the two songs have in common: They both have a near identical tempo and drum part for the verse and they both share the same guitar sounds i.e. jangly during the verse, loud during the chorus. So, to sell myself short a little, it was a bit of a "save as" job!

As for the song itself, well it reminds me of turning up to school on a snowy day in 1996 only to be sent home because of the snow. Instead of going home I trudged in to town to buy the Bittersweet Me CD single and went home and listened to it and it's B-sides (I still maintain this CD release has some of the best B-sides they ever released) while watching the cars sliding around outside and getting stuck unable to get up the hill. So the song has a nice homely, wintery feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment