Wednesday 11 February 2015

Losing My Religion


I was never going to tackle this song as it is far too mainstream and well known but getting the mandolin meant it would be crazy to pass this up. At first I was going to just do a stripped down version of the song, even more stripped down than their unplugged version – literally just guitar and mandolin but in the end I decided to just go for it.
Though I wouldn’t say the mandolin part to Losing My Religion is particularly complex, it is certainly a lot more advanced and distinctive than some previous songs, Peter Buck’s mandolin skills have come a long way since You Are The Everything, for example. But it’s not just the mandolin that is firing on all cylinders in this song, Mike Mills’s bass part is also very distinctive and really fun to play.

This was never going to be one of my best covers as it’s a song that is universally known and so mine will always fall short. But you can’t expect me to get a mandolin and then not cover this song!

No comments:

Post a Comment