Wednesday 11 February 2015

Half A World Away


It wasn’t until I took this song on that I realised just how experimental it is. Musically it’s not that adventurous, just a series of minor chords, but they took a mediocre song and coloured it with instruments that were oustide of their comfort zone, like a harpsichord, violin and, to a lesser extent, the mandolin. 
It was also another obvious choice now that I’ve started playing mandolin. It’s a fairly basic mandolin part, no riffs just strumming along doing the same chords as the acoustic guitar. The bass part is basic too. But it’s the organs, harpsichord and, of course, Stipe’s vocals that make this song what it is.

And no, I don’t own a harpischord, violin or an organ! Sadly, these parts are software-generated, still created by me, just with my mouse not my bare hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment