Tuesday 7 April 2015

Swan Swan H



After finishing a batch of acoustic mandolin songs I was looking for further ideas for songs with minimal percussion that would lend themselves to the mandolin. Swan Swan H seemed the perfect choice.

I've gone for a balance between the original Lifes Rich Pageant version and the Athens Demo version. I really like the urgency of the Athens Demo version but I hold back until the start of the 2nd verse before bringing in the marching band-style percussion.

Weirdly I had never attributed the lovely sound of the acoustic guitar in this song to being because it was played on a 12-string acoustic. I should have recognised the sound really, or at least spotted the 12 tuning pegs on Peter's guitar in the Athens GA/Inside-Out video! Sadly I had to settle for 6 strings despite attempts at emulating the 12 string sound. I don't think it's a problem once all the other instruments kick in.

No comments:

Post a Comment