Wednesday 22 April 2015

Falls To Climb


It's a genuine coincidence that I chose a mandolin-based approach to this song and then discovered, just by searching for the song on YouTube, that the original demo the band did for the song was much the same as what I'd set out to do.

There's only a handful of songs on Up that I do like but this is one. I've always thought it's a beautifully simple song with a really great vocal from Stipe. I guess I just wanted to see what a more traditional approach to the song might sound like – Hairshirt – that's what it sounds like! With its similar chords and the mandolin/organ combination it does sound a lot like Hairshirt. Maybe this was the reason the band completely re-worked it, this and the fact the electronic version suits the sound of Up better.

No comments:

Post a Comment