Monday 1 November 2010

Radio Free Europe


This has been the hardest song I've covered so far. I had a choice whether to go for the raw live sound (as played live on The Tube in 1983, for example) or to take on the mammoth task of recreating the intricately produced album version. I chose the latter.

Covering this made me appreciate how much mixing and production went into making Murmur compared to Reckoning. Production-wise it plays more like a Sparklehorse song than an early R.E.M. song, it's so clean and every instrument has its own distinct space in the aural spectrum. There's so much going on instrumentally and yet it doesn't sound crowded. I much prefer the Murmur version to the one that appeared on Eponymous, the only thing the Eponymous version had going for it was its pace, it might have been nice to hear the Murmur version with a slighly faster tempo. In hindsight, maybe I should have tried that with my cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment