Monday 1 November 2010

The Wrong Child


I wasn't going to cover this one for the simple reason that I don't own or play a mandolin. But I decided not to let a small detail like that stop me! I discovered that playing the high E string of an acoustic guitar very high up the fret and ever so slightly muting the string does a pretty good job of emulating the mandolin.

Once I'd figured out a rough approximation of the mandolin part this song was a pleasure to record. It was quite refreshing not to have to worry about drums or bass guitar. A lot of my recordings sound so rigid and robotic because I'm working to a 100% accurate computer-generated click track, stripping the song of all rhythmic error and hence personality. So it was great to throw all that aside for this song and the results are, I hope, quite pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment