Tuesday 24 December 2013

Ages Of You


Supposedly a re-write of Burning Down, Ages Of You is another early song that didn't make it on to an album. It pretty much follows the template for R.E.M. songs in the early 1980s; indecipherable lyrics, jangling guitars and a driving rhythm section reminiscent of  Radio Free Europe.

I only covered this out of a desire to work on a new R.E.M. cover and running out of obvious songs to take on. I do like the song but feel the Dead Letter Office version is mixed really badly with so much reverb on the drums that it drowns out everything else. The Murmur outtakes and demos revealed a version of the song without any reverb on the drums enabling me to hear some of the more subtle guitar work and the bass line. Also, I discovered that by turning the reverb on the guitars up really loud and layering the tracks I could get a guitar sound quite similar to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment