Friday 13 December 2013

Wendell Gee



My motivation for covering Wendell Gee was to actually have a go at singing it as it's a song that I can do a half-decent job of singing and it's within my vocal range. But, as is often the case, what might sound good in my head when I'm singing in the car or around the house sounds very plain when I listen back to an actual recording! So for that reason, it was a classic case of "stick to what you do best" and this idea was abandoned.

It's a bit of a no thrills backing track though I'm proud of the overall feel of the track. Sometimes when I'm recording myself playing guitar I get so uptight and I think this is reflected in the overall sound. Here, I made a conscious effort to play lazily and do it in one take and, in doing that, it has a kind of bluesy late night feel to it! 

It's based purely on the Athens demo of the song not the actual album version, hence there being no piano parts and no banjo in the middle 8 (not that I own a banjo!).

2 comments:

  1. I can't download this, either. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Clive, I'm doing my best to put vocals to your REM covers, like Owenshire,... Keep doing more, please,... I'm listening! Leighton.

    ReplyDelete