Friday 13 December 2013

(Don't Go Back To) Rockville



I've been tempted to cover this for some time but have been indecisive about how to approach it; whether to go for a reproduction of the album version or the way they play it live.

I kind of went for a compromise between the two. There was no way I was going to reproduce the piano parts from the album version because, to be honest, I just don't like the song enough to go to all that trouble. But I specifically like the tremolo-effect lead guitar parts that colour the song and give it it's country feel. So I kept these and opted for a more jangly guitar sound for the rhythm guitars.

This song is quite like no other R.E.M. song. It actually doesn't even sound like them. Having been listening to The Beatles a lot in the past few weeks I feel confident in saying that there is something very Beatle-esque about Don't Go Back To Rockville, something about the chord changes and the guitar sound.

But it's a fun song to listen to and cover, the perfect medicine for these cold, dark winter months.

1 comment: