Thursday 6 September 2012

All Things Considered



In case you're wondering, All Things Considered is the name assigned, by my fellow R.E.M. friend (and vocalist for this project) Rob Muhlbock, to an unknown R.E.M. original they played live once on June 25th 1982 at The I And I Club in Athens, Georgia. 

When he introduced it to me I had never heard it before or even heard of it. Though, in my opinion, I hadn't been missing much! It's a strange little song with an almost ska feel to it and completely unlike any other R.E.M. song at the time. He had to twist my arm to cover it and my first attempt to cover it I quickly discarded as being shit and would be reduced to being an "outtake" but, about a year later with some spare time on my hands, I gave it another go and I'm more pleased with it now.

With a song like this, where's there's no definitive version and the sound quality of the only recording of it is so poor, there's always an element of creativity involved, such as the decision to have the middle 8 also open the song.

Writing credits for this song...

Berry / Buck / Mills / Stipe / Butler / Muhlbock ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment