Tuesday 4 September 2012

Feeling Gravitys Pull



The danger with taking on a song with such an individual guitar sound as Feeling Gravitys Pull was that I could fall flat on my face right from the opening chords of the song. But I think I did OK for a non-Rickenbacker owner. 

I also had to get my head round harmonics on guitar - I've been playing guitar for 15 years and never really understood what harmonics were and how to play them, but it was important that I get it right for this song because they're such an important part of the main guitar riff. I'm never going to get them sounding as menacing as on the original but I think I'm at least half way there.

The original ending had the strings doing what they do on Fables Of The Reconstruction but, after four and a half minutes of crunchy-sounding electric guitar, the synthesised strings that come with Garageband sounded a bit weedy in comparison! So I opted to play the melody on electric guitar which I think works surprisingly well and is now one of my favourite parts of the song.

1 comment: