Thursday 6 September 2012

The Ascent Of Man



My decision to cover The Ascent Of Man was purely as a result of my love of the way the song was performed live in 2005 on the R.E.M. Live CD/DVD. I've always considered the song one of the best of a bad bunch from Around The Sun but when I heard the guitar on the live version I had visions of how this could have been so much better. The excellent guitar part is very much downplayed on the album version in favour of electronic instruments. The album version also starts to sound tediously slow when you've listened to the live version a couple of times. But the live version isn't perfect, it's marred by seemingly out of tune piano parts that aren't even necessary.

So my aim was to take the best assets from both versions and create a version of the song that exceeds both. Obviously I'm limited by my recording equipment and musical instruments but I'd like to think if this was worked up to recording studio standards then it would be a much better representation of what is, essentially, not a bad song at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment