Wednesday 5 September 2012

Catapult



A man in a guitar shop, who repaired my bass guitar once, asked me how I manage to play it without crippling my fingers. This was after I'd heard him muttering to his colleagues how he can't believe how shit these cheap bass guitars are and how poorly they are made. Lucky I didn't go in his shop the day after recording Catapult with blisters on my fingers. Yes, it's safe to say I have the strongest left hand in the UK and not for the derogatory reasons my friends would have you believe.

It was never my intention early on to tackle Catapult because, at the time, I had no bass guitar and was pessimistic about my ability to master some of the string-bending, intricate guitar parts. But alas, I got myself a cheap bass guitar and managed to approximate the guitar parts quite closely. Consequently it's now one of my top 10 favourites of all my cover songs. It's often the case that the after-thoughts actually become favourites.

The only variation from the Murmur original was in that I started the song in a similar way to how they performed it live at the time i.e. the drums don't kick in until after one bar of the bass riff, which I think is a nice touch.

1 comment:

  1. I don't see the instrumental for catapult here am I missing something

    ReplyDelete